Cambs Farms Growers Ltd
Cambs Farms Growers Ltd (CFGL) is a family-owned business farming in excess of 5,000 ha of land in East Anglia. We are a specialist conventional and organic field-grown salad and vegetable producer with over 60 years of experience.
Our conventional cropping consists of bulb onions, Little Gem and Iceberg lettuce, celery and potatoes, plus maize, wheat and sugar beet. Our organic crops include lettuces, celery, bulb onions, beetroot and wheat.
We supply over 170 million heads of leaf salads crops and celery from May through to the end of October, all of which is cut and packed in the field. Over 20,000t of onions are harvested and stored for supply from August through to May.
Our full-time work force is sourced from the local area and complemented by seasonal workers.
The Fenlands are an important bedrock to our farming business and, as such, we place great value on the preservation and development of our soils and the wildlife and fauna which contribute so much to this diverse environment.
At CFGL we have taken a Whole Farm Approach to sustainable agriculture, harnessing the connections between sustainable soils and farm biodiversity to promote a healthy ecosystem above and below ground within our agricultural land base.
We have been a LEAF Demonstration Farm since the year 2000 and host visits from schools, colleges/universities, agricultural groups and conservation groups. In addition, we have participated in Open Farm Sunday for 9 years. This year the event attracted over 6,000 visitors.
We joined the Countryside Stewardship Scheme in 2017 with two higher-tier and two mid-tier agreements; both lasting 5 years.
10% of CFGL’s holdings are dedicated to conservation and managed for wildlife. These areas consist of the following:
- 53ha wild bird seed mixes, both cereal and brassica to provide winter food and summer pollinators, along with 17.5 tonne of supplementary winter feed
- 60 ha of permanent grassland with 56ha of flower meadows and pollen and nectar enhanced borders
- Reed bed creation and management along with the creation of scrapes and gutters, ditches dykes and rhines for breeding waders on SSI areas
- Management of wet grassland, ditches and hedgerows with high environmental value
- The creation of 6ha of lapwing plots and 6ha turtle dove feeding sites along with nesting habitat and the addition of wildlife boxes for tree sparrows, bats and barn owls
- Organic land management
All of the above is aimed at protecting habitats and fauna.
Working with FWAG, key species and habitats have been identified for protection and enhancement. New habitats have also been established across the farm to encourage these species to flourish. CFGL is Conservation grade accredited.
We are Tesco Nurture (to Gold standard), Tesco Organic Nurture (to Gold standard), Red Tractor Farm Assurance, Field to Fork, LEAF and Combinable Crops & Sugar Beet accredited.
- RSPB on bird surveys – Volunteer & Farmer Alliance
- Game & Wildlife Conservancy Trust – Grey Partridge surveys
- FWAG – Biodiversity Action Plans
- Environmental management schemes such as Countryside Stewardship Scheme, Entry Level & Organic Entry Level Stewardship schemes
- Membership to LEAF
- Wildlife Trusts